The research fields that Jan van Boeckel is particularly drawn to are: arts-based environmental education, environmental aesthetics, philosophy of nature, education science in general (and specifically environmental education and education for sustainable development), art and ecology, sustainable- and meta-design, (eco)phenomenology, and the psychology of climate change.
In April 2016, Jan explored the latter theme through arts-based presentations and activities at the Climate Existence conference in Sigtuna, Sweden. In that same year, he became a member of a research commission of the British Educational Research Association that focused on “Reviewing the potential and challenges of developing STEAM education through creative pedagogies for 21st century learning.” The final report (2017) can be downloaded here. Between 2011 and 2014, Jan was member of the Dutch advisory group “Designing for the future” (Ontwerpen voor de toekomst) on sustainable development and art education, established by EDU-ART.
Presently Jan van Boeckel is part of two research groups. One on the theme of Art & Science in Education (Kunst og vitenskap i læring) at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences in Ås, headed by Professor Edvin Østergaard. The other on Arts-Based Environmental Education at Aalto University in Finland, led by Professor Anniina Suominen. In 2016, Van Boeckel was invited to be guest editor-in-chief for a special issue of the Arts & Teaching Journal Artizein. For this edition (which appeared in November 2017), authors and artists were invited to reflect on new developments at the interface of art, education, and the natural environment.
Here is an overview of Jan van Boeckel’s publications:
- van Boeckel, Jan (2017). Artful empiricism and improvising with the unforeseen: Two approaches in seeking understandings of nature through art. In K. Soini, S. Asikainen, K. Plebanzcyk, L. Rojac-Mijatovic, C. Brites (Eds.). Perspectives for culture in sustainable futures: Theories, policies, practices. SoPhi, University of Jyväskylä, Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy, Jyväskylä, Finland (forthcoming).
- van Boeckel, Jan (2017). Active non-activeness: The art of mindful non-interfering in artful environmental education. Acta Academiae Artium Vilnensis (peer-reviewed journal published by Vilnius Academy of Arts) (forthcoming).
- van Boeckel, Jan (2017). The world is breathing me: Introduction to Artizein. Artizein: Arts & Teaching Journal 2(2), Article 2.
- Jolly, L.; van Boeckel, J.; & Slåttli, S. (2017) Biology, art and sustainability. Artizein: Arts and Teaching Journal 2(2), Article 7.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2015). Never mind where, so long as it’s fast: Jacques Ellul and La Technique. In Technê and Technology: Dark Mountain issue 8.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2015). Angels talking back and new organs of perception: Art making and intentionality in nature experience. Visual Inquiry: Learning & Teaching Art, 4(2), 111–122. DOI:10.1386/vi.4.2.111_1
- van Boeckel, Jan (2015). Til að kerfi geti talist fullgert verður það að gera ráð fyrir hinu ófullgerða (“For a system to be complete, in-completion must be included in it”), Mæna, 6, March, Iceland, 51-55.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2013). Lectio praecursoria: The role of artistic process in connecting to the natural environment. SYNNYT/ORIGINS, 3 (Finnish Studies in Art Education), 32-36.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2017). At the Heart of Art and Earth. Doctoral dissertation. Helsinki: Aalto Publications.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2012). Engaging with landscape through artmaking. In S. Grierson (Ed.). Intersections (pp. 49-51). Perth, UK: Threshold Artspace.
- Eernstman, N.; Van Boeckel, J.; Sacks, S.; & Myers, M. (2012). Inviting the unforeseen: A dialogue about art, learning and sustainability. In A.A.E. Wals & P. Blaze Corcoran (Eds.). Learning for sustainability in times of accelerating change (pp. 201-212). Wageningen, Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2012). Original thinking: Review of An Ecology of Mind. Resurgence Magazine, 270.
- Jolly, L; Slåttli, S; Van Boeckel, J. (2011). Biologi, bilder og bærekraft. Norsk Pedagogisk Tidsskrift 4, 299-313.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2011). A point of no return: Artistic vulnerability and the more-than-human world. In A.F. Aarø & J. Servan (Eds.). Environment, Embodiment & Gender (pp. 293-313). Bergen, Norway: Hermes Text.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2012). When we find meaning in art, our thinking is most in sync with nature: A review of An Ecology of Mind. www.anecologyofmind.com
- van Boeckel, Jan (2011). Reflections on the Doli Seminar. In E. Østergaard & L. Jolly (Eds.). Researching Art and Science in Teaching on the Doli seminar in Greece, December 2010. IMT-Report 44, NMBU. Ås, Norway.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2010). Hidden agendas and utopian wanderings: Trying to be conscious of epistemological challenges and errors in doing research in art education. SYNNYT/ORIGINS, 4 (Finnish Studies in Art Education), 65-78.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2009). Arts-based environmental education and the ecological crisis: Between opening the senses and coping with psychic numbing. In B. Drillsma-Milgrom & L. Kirstinä (Eds.). Metamorphoses in children’s literature and culture (pp. 145-164). Turku, Finland: Enostone.
- van Boeckel, Jan (2006). Forget your botany: Developing children’s sensibility to nature through arts-based environmental education. International Journal of the Arts in Society, 1, 3-15.
Most titles can be accessed here (opens in a new window)
Jan van Boeckel’s doctoral dissertation, At the Heart of Art and Earth, first appeared in 2013 and was reprinted in 2014 and 2017. On this page, a form opens up through which you can order a printed copy. A PDF of the book is downloadable here (Open Access), and via this link you can easily scroll through it on screen, page by page.